Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Islands and Leo



I had the good fortune of running into some locals who knew a Family that offered tours in Granada. I jumped on the opportunity to see what it was like for a day to be a local. Leo and his family live on one of over 380 Islands next to Granada. He taught and showed me how quickly his home is being invaded by foreigners who have bought the Islands from locals who had no idea what real value they held. He was very insightful and explained to me the difficult situation Nicaragua finds itself in today. With over 20% of its population without schooling it leaves it with a lot of work to do. Leo was amazing throughout the entire day and I promised him I would return to visit him and his family. I really try my best to find locals when traveling; being it really gives me an idea of how things really are in their country. One of the highlights was when Leo climbed a Palm tree to get us some Coconuts. As you can tell by the pictures it was no easy feat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home